The majority of candy contain pork. Being a former sweet fanatic myself , I came to this horrifying realization, upon checking the backs of the majority of candy wrappers. Even some things such as marshmallows and candy floss can contain pork, so its wise to check the packets of everything before you decide to consume. If you think as food as ‘medicine’ then this may sway you to make better choices for yourself and your children.
The general rule I have learnt, is to assume that all candy has pork in it, whether it be from the pork gelatin or from the pork that resides in the artificial colours, additives or preservatives that are used.
There are some sweets that use Bovine gelatin and are without colours and preservatives, you’ll usually find them in Health Food Shops. You’ll also be safe (hopefully) with vegetarian sweets, or even better, organic vegetarian sweets.
Its hard when you have children to keep them away from Pork, especially when its in enticements such as sweets. It’s particularly terrible because you know its being deliberately done, to encourage us, the children of the promise to sin against the Most High. Technically there’s no need to use PORK in any products.
Anyway, I found this lovely recipe on great site called Wellness Mama. Its for homemade sweets, so you can make your own (using bovine gelatin).
I haven’t made them myself, but I shall be doing so soon and I’ll post my results on here. Do let me know if you try this yourself!
Healthy homemade fruit snacks packed with nutrients from gelatin, fruit, kombucha (optional) and juice.
- 1 cup water (divided)
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) gelatin powder (Bovine)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup (optional and to taste)
- 1 cup kombucha or fruit juice (Here’s how to make Kombucha)
- 1 cup pureed fruit (strawberries and other berries are our favorite – applesauce will also work) The easiest method I’ve found is to defrost frozen berries and puree them with a blender or immersion blender.
- Note: It is important to have all ingredients ready before beginning as you’ll need to work quickly once you start.
- Puree fruit to create a puree the consistency of applesauce or a little thinner. For us, defrosted frozen berries pureed in a blender or food processor work perfectly. Set aside one cup of pureed fruit.
- Set aside one cup of kombucha or fruit juice. We prefer homemade kombucha flavored with strawberries for this recipe. (Here is how to make kombucha)
- Boil ½ cup water.
- Place ½ cup cool water in a medium sized bowl or quart size mason jar.
- Add ½ cup gelatin powder and stir quickly to create a paste.
- Quickly add the ½ cup boiling water and stir again briskly.
- This should form a thick but stirable liquid.
- Add the honey or maple syrup and stir.
- Add the kombucha/juice and pureed fruit and stir well. You can stir with a spoon or whisk, or use an immersion blender to make it really easy.
- Very quickly pour the mixture in to molds or a greased glass baking dish or other greased dish and allow to cool in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Store in fridge in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
Veggie SWEETS – http://www.needsweets.co.uk/
Veggie Cola bottles 🙂 – http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/biona_vegetarian_cola_bottles.html#aBIO398